There’s all kinds of Thanksgiving posts. Fluffy ones, sappy ones, ones that make you rethink all you have been through and are going through…and then there is this one. The random weird one. Nothing profound and nothing amazing. Just real life, lived by real people.
For me, the things I am most thankful for are often the things that cause me the most grief. I grieve over them, and worry about them because I care about them. And so maybe in that I – we – can also be thankful for the things we aren’t so certain about. Maybe we can realize good comes along with bad, and big red bows really ought to be left out of it all, because what we are truly thankful for usually comes with a hot mess. And that’s not just okay, it’s awesome. Messes keep us busy, and when it comes right down to it, they keep us sane.
So here it is, my messy, no so prefect thankfulness list.
1. A husband who makes inappropriate, but hilarious comments, like ALL the time. Who once ran around the block at Halloween dressed as whitey tighty man. Who can ALWAYS make me laugh, but also let me cry. I love you Kevin, and I’m so thankful to have you in my life.
2. My son, Ryan, who didn’t fall to far from his daddy’s crazy-funny tree. If you didn’t know, he’s got some special battles to fight. His IQ score labels him intellectually disabled – but as if that could EVER hold his awesomeness back. He rocks the saxophone and rules the basketball court, and even when I get phone calls from the school that make me wonder if he even has a brain – I love him dearly – and wouldn’t have it any other way.
3. My drama princess, Lauren. Yesterday she ran through the house screaming about who knows what – the girl knows how to rock a mood swing. And I love her for it. Because she is passionate, about everything. She’s not without her battles too, they have seemed to come at her right and left lately – but the girl handles it in stride. And I’m honored to say I’m her mom.
4. My mom and mama Jean who know how crazy busy I have been and have totally kicked butt taking care of the Thanksgiving prep and turkey cooking this week. Without them around we would be like going to Furr’s or something. I love you. Thanks for always being amazing.
5. Bella, my corgi, who does this…I mean what more could you ask for?
6. My friends who catch me on a tough day and send me monkey pics like this. You know who you are…and I know for certain I would never ever want to do life without you.
7. And I saved the best for last. God. Ya’ll I’m a mess, and I don’t hide it. A big one. And for whatever reason God continues to bless me, love me, care for me, give me unwavering hope, and never give up on me. I don’t even know how to say how thankful I am. This song has been on my repeat list this Thanksgiving, and I think it says it best. I’m just so dang thankful for the cross.
So what are you thankful for? Both the pretty and the messy…because it’s all good. In fact it’s all great.
Happy Thanksgiving from my hot mess of a family to yours!